Founder of the Month
The Founding generation was special. They lived in perplexing, eventful and dangerous times. John Adams wrote that “I am but an ordinary Man. The Times alone have destined me to Fame.” Fortunately many men and women from the Founding Era went to great lengths to save their correspondence. Often this correspondence is brimming with passion, humor, anxieties, doubts, and, not least, hopes of this remarkable generation. Furthermore, in writing to friends, families and potential allies, the Founders described their colleagues in remarkably blunt terms.
It is our privilege to share with you a sampling of these word portraits that illuminate the character and personality of the Founders.
Clicking on the titles will take you to a PDF version of the document. To receive the Founder of the Month via email, please join our mailing list.
- April 2015 - Elbridge Gerry (pdf)
- May 2014 - Thomas Paine (pdf)
- April 2014 - The Marquis de Lafayette (pdf)
- March 2014 - George Washington (pdf)
- February 2014 - Gouverneur Morris (pdf)
- January 2014 - Alexander Hamilton (pdf)
- November 2013 - John Jay (pdf)
- October 2013 - Benjamin Franklin (pdf)
- September 2013 - James Madison (pdf)
- August 2013 - John Adams (pdf)
- Benjamin Rush
- Patrick Henry
- James Wilson
- George Mason
- Luther Martin
- Charles Pinckney