by Linda V. Chappetto, Jack Young Middle School, Baraboo, Wisconsin
Wisconsin B.8.1 Interpret the past using a variety of sources, such as biographies, diaries, journals, artifacts, eyewitness interviews, and other primary source materials, and evaluate the credibility of sources used
- Graphic organizers for introduction “quotes” activity
- Computers for each student to use to look at the Founders on the Founders site
- Access to http://www.classtools.net/fb/home/page for students to create their “fakebook” pages
- Additional sites for students to use for research to ensure that their profiles reflect accurate historical information
- Students think about the things that different people in their lives might say about them. They should write quotes from a few different perspectives – parents, grandparents, friends, siblings, enemies, teachers, etc – which reflect each person’s opinion about the student.
- Students then turn to a neighbor and share some of their quotes.
- Teacher asks for a volunteer to read all of their quotes aloud
- Teachers tells students that we can learn a lot about someone based on what other people say about them
- Students will use the “fakebook” utility to create a page for one of the historical figures on the Founders on the Founders site
- The site helps them find a picture, they have to add the other Founders as “friends” and think about the kinds of conversation they might have had if this site had existed during the time of the founding of our country
- Encourage them to think about what other historical figures they might have been “friends” with and what other aspects of the real Facebook they could incorporate in their fake profile
- Have students write for 3 – 5 minutes about the difference between how the founders are portrayed in picture and story books as opposed to how they look to them now after reading the quotes. Ask them to talk about why we wouldn’t have younger children read the quotes and learn about the Founders that way.
- Have them share what they think with a neighbor